Wednesday, January 14

First week of Culinary School

Well, last week was, in fact, my first week. I've had a lot of fun already. Never before have I felt so comfortable talking to people I met for the first time. It's almost like a weight off my shoulders. For so long I thought I would rot my life either working a job I hate just to keep away from people, or live on social security or welfare. I'd really hate the latter, too. It would feel like a waste of my massive intellect.

For anyone who is reading my writing for the first time, I have a very pompous attitude....I usually keep it to myself. Conflicting attitudes of arrogance and the desire to not put off others makes my a somewhat confusing person, I suppose.

Back to school, though. In my class I have had three instructors thus far, whose names I will not disclose, and all three have been very helpful, patient, and understanding. I only hope that by the time I leave the class I have not drained their enthusiasm for teaching.

As time has gone on I've realized that I don't want to be a cook just for my love of food. After having read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain I have realized how much I want to be part of this chef culture. A pirate crew as it has been described by both my instructors, and Anthony Bourdain. And I guess when I think about it, who doesn't want to belong somewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment